Built in 1360, the Andronikov Monastery was constructed in Taganka, on the Yauza Riverâ€™s eastern bank. It was to serve as a defensive fortress for Moscow, and was built by Metropolitan Alexei. The Andronikov Monastery was dedicated to the saint Our Saviour, which in Russian is the Russian Spas. The monasteryâ€™s present day name is a combination of The Saviour and the first Abbot, Andronik, presenting the monastery with the name Spaso-Andronikov Monastyr. Andronik entrusted the running of the Andronikov Monastery to Alexei and as reward, Alexei was given land in the Kremlin that once belonged to the Khan of the Kypchak Horde. Andrei Rublev is the Andronikov Monasteryâ€™s most famous monk, who served in the 17th century and became an icon through his paintings.