The Pulkovo Space Observatory, Russia
The Pulkovo Space Observatory was the concept of Vasili Yakovlevich Struve, a Russian scientist. In 1839 the observatory was officially opened with Vasili Struve as the director. Alexander Bryullov was the architect behind Pulkovo Space Observatory. The observatory was mainly involved in determining the star coordinates as well as the coordinates of astronomical constants which include refractions, precessions, aberrations and nutations. This top-class observatory has also been used in the geographical study of Russia, plus the advancement of navigation. Several star catalogues have been created by the observatory.
As the Pulkovo Space Observatoryâ€™s 50th anniversary rolled in, the astrophysical laboratory was added along with a mechanical workshop and the installation of a 76cm refractor. Feodor Bredikhin became director in 1890 and was joined by Aristarkh Belopolsky, both of who contributed greatly to Astrophysical research. An impressive Littrow spectrograph was installed at the Space Observatory in 1923. Then in 1940 they received a horizontal solar telescope. Two affiliates were set-up to assist the observatory in getting information on southern stars. These astrophysical stations were organized in Simeiz of the Crimea and Nikolaev.
Russia Heritage Sites
Pulkovo Space Observatory || Uvs Nuur || Golden Mountains of Altai || Wrangel Island || White Monuments
Sikhote-Alin || Curonian Spit || Shlisselburg || Virgin Komi Forests || Volcanoes of Kamchatka
Russian Travel information
Russian Heritage Sites ||Airports in Russia ||Palaces of Russia ||Maps of Russia
Weather in Russia||Attractions in Russia